Saturday, October 10, 2009

Running at Disneyland Part 3

Day three was an easy day, as it was the day before the race. We went to DCA and rode some rides, watched the Aladdin live show and pretty much took it easy. We ate dinner in Downtown Disney at a bakery which was serving a special pasta meal meal for the race. The lasagna was outstanding. It was off to bed early.

Day four, Race Day. We got up at 4:45 to eat some breakfast. The night before we bought some breakfast items at White Water snacks. I got dressed, ate breakfast and about 5:30 we walked outside. The weather was perfect for running. The sky was overcast and it was not to terribly hot yet. I said good bye to Pam and walked with a crowd of runners to where my start corral was on Disneyland Drive. At 6am straight up the start gun went off. It took me about 12 minutes to get to the start line. Mickey & Minnie we there. Just after the start line, Goofy was waving to us from the monorail which was parked on the track above the drive

We ran down Disneyland drive turned left onto Katella Ave, then left onto Harbor Blvd. We then went into the backstage of DCA. We wound our way through DCA across the esplanade and into Disneyland going directly backstage.

It was neat getting to see what it looks like backstage. We ran through fantasy land, through the Castle, around New Orleans square, pass the Haunted Mansion and left Disneyland through Critter Country. We ran the streets of Anaheim until we got to Angel stadium. Man was that cool getting to run inside there

There was huge crowd of people in the stands cheering us on. We left the stadium and only had about 3 miles left to finish. When we got back to Disney, we ran again backstage at DCA coming out near the front entrance of the Grand Californian. Pam snapped a picture of me as I exited DCA heading for the finish.
We ran down and around the Paradise Hotel and finished the race on a service drive near the Disneyland Hotel.
I ran it in 2:21:08. I got my finishers medal, the castle medal, then got in line to get my C to C medal. I was able to keep the wristband as a souvenir. Next I got my picture taken by the Disney folks and then began looking for Pam in the family reunion area. Once we found each other, we made our way back to the Grand Californian. We both put on clothes we did not care about getting wet and went directly to the Grizzly River ride in DCA. It was really neat that we could get into DCA from the Grand Californian. We rode the ride, went back to the room, I showered then we were off to the park again. We spent most of the rest of the day going between the 2 parks riding rides and shopping. We finished our trip by watching Magical again at Disneyland. We had an 8am flight the next morning home.

We both had great time on this trip. It had been 8 years since our previous visit to Disneyland. A lot had changed and there are many changes in the works at DCA. Before leaving to go to Disneyland I told Pam I only wanted to do this one time. On our flight home I expressed to her that I wanted to do it again next year. The picture below says it all!!!

In just a couple of weeks, I will start my training for the 2010 WDW 1/2 marathon. I can't wait.

Thanks for reading.

Til next time, run strong & enjoy the moment.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed your race report. Makes me want to run. Planning to do WDW marathon in 2011. Thanks again.